[Samba] Question

PageDeveloper spierce at page-developer.net
Wed Jul 16 15:41:36 GMT 2003

Good Morning,

I am sorry, but I am very new to SAMBA. I have a RH 8 server, and
I am trying to connect a Win2K and a Win98 box to it.  Now from
this point, the win2K box works with out a issue (mainly).  The
98 box, I can see the share from time to time.

>With Samba 2.2, just do everything just as you did before, but *do not* use
>winbind in nsswitch.  You will need to join winbind to itself.  (ie,
smbpasswd
>-j -Uroot%foo)

Two questions if I may.  The command above does what?  I can see it is
part of winbind, but when you use the smbpasswd that just adds a password
to the samba share so that you have a log in, correct?

Also how do I tell what samba version I am running??

Thank you so much for the help..

I can send my smb.conf file to any that needs to see it.  Did not want
to over do the list.