[Samba] Creating domain users - how?

Paul Parsons peparsons at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jul 15 14:26:18 GMT 2003

Louis,

Thanks for your response.

I thought I'd done what you said, but armed with your experience I'll
get out of the domain, undo the server side changes and start again
being more careful this time.

Sorry to seem dim, but can you just confirm that (once I've done the
rest properly) all I have to do to add a domain user to the domain is
to add it on the PDC as both a linux and an smb user? (i.e. nothing to
do from a Win2K client m/c)

Paul

 --- Louis Nafziger <louisn at aip-usa.com> wrote: > Paul,

>     I had similar problems, and this is a problem with the machine
> account, not the user account.  The machine trust account should be
> setup similar to the following, assuming a machine name of win2kname.
>
> useradd -r -g trust -d /dev/null -s /dev/null win2kname$
> smbpasswd -a -m win2kname
>
>     Note that the $ is not required on the second command.
>
>     This can also be caused if the win2k machine and the samba server
> passwords are different on the machine trust account.  Note that you
> should not normally change these, as when you join the domain, they
> will
> be set automatically.  If this is the problem, you will need to leave
> the domain on the win2k machine, and the delete the samba trust
> account
> (i.e. smbpasswd -d -m win2kname).  Then re-create it (with smbpasswd
> -a
> -m win2kname) and re-join the domain.  If all goes well, you should
> be
> able to login!
>
> Louis

=====