[Samba] cant ceate home directory

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Tue Jul 15 12:56:36 GMT 2003

> Message: 18
> Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 12:41:53 -0300
> From: "LabCeitba" <jagonzal at alu.itba.edu.ar>
> Subject: [Samba] cant ceate home directory
> To: <samba at lists.samba.org>
>

> Hi, im from argentina. Im working for a local University who has many
> lab`s. One of them has 30 machines with dual boot, nt workstation and
> Linux Mandrake 9.0, and a PDC nt server 4.0.
> I`d installed samba on my Mandrake`s, and work just fine, but when i
> try to create a local home directory for the users, a message pop`s,
> and says cant ceate home directory /home/user_name.
> Permissions on that directory are fine...
> I configured smb.conf just like all books and Samba book seed, and
> nothing happens.
> The rest of the config seems to be fine, because the user can logging
> to the PDC.
> Is anyway i can solve my problem??.
> Or any documentation????
> can you help me??
> Tanks a lot for all...!!

Without details of your configuration (smb.conf, pam configuration etc),
it's difficult to know where the problem would come from, but:

Mandrake 9.0 has support for authenticating against a windows domain,
using Winbind, which you can setup during installation.

See:
http://ranger.dnsalias.com/mandrake/samba/Integrating%20Linux%20into%20Windows%20Networks.pdf
http://ranger.dnsalias.com/mandrake/samba/Integrating%20Linux%20into%20Windows%20Networks.tar.gz
http://ranger.dnsalias.com/mandrake/samba/Integrating%20Linux%20into%20Windows%20Networks-handouts.pdf

If you follow the steps there, on first boot you should be able to login
with a domain account, and your user's home directory will be created on
the first login attempt.

Regards,
Buchan

- --
Cellphone * Work            +27 82 472 2231 * +27 21 8828820x202