[Samba] Vijay - samba box not seen in browse list.

Vizitiu, Ciprian CVizitiu at gbif.org
Tue Jul 15 11:48:33 GMT 2003

> Without modifying any security parameters, I have changed the
> following : interfaces = 192.168.0.229/24 ; not needed remote
> announce = 192.168.0.255 local master = yes
>
> and created a user administrator onthe linux box with the
> same passwd as that of the win2K server - using smbpasswd.
>
> I am still not able to browse/access thislinux box.

Can you connect from the very same linux box? Open a terminal and do a

smbmount '\\thislinuxbox\myshare' /mnt/floppy -o
username=a_valid_samba_username

Does it work?

>From the same command prompt do

smbclient -L thislinuxbox

don't give any passwd and watch for

        Workgroup            Master
        SOMEWKG              PDC_NAME

If the PDC_NAME is still the windows box your samba lost elections so the
browse list is still in Redmond! ;-)

Painfull question: are you allowed to reboot the PDC? :)