[Samba] ACLs and file copies/permissions

Tom Dickson tdickson at inostor.com
Mon Jul 14 21:39:42 GMT 2003

Hello all,

I want to make a Samba server act as much like an 2000 machine as possible.
I've successfully got winbindd running, and also have compiled ACLs into the
kernel and the XFS filesystem.

What settings to I want to use in the smb.conf file to make it as close to
2000 as possible? I want to minimize the necessity of admining the box from
the Linux side.

Currently I have issues with default permissions (removing Everyone group,
etc) (I have 2.2.5 right now). I think I'm going to have to tune the set
directory mode/mask parameters, and I'm wondering if anyone has this
working.

This message (from the technical list)
http://lists.samba.org/pipermail/samba-technical/2002-April/035899.html
sounds like what I want; but I don't want to run Samba 2.2.3.

I've read that Samba ACLs were changed in 2.2.8a (back ported from 3.0), so
should I stick with 2.2.8 or move to 3.0?

Also, what is the status on this
http://lists.samba.org/pipermail/samba-technical/2003-June/045448.html
issue?

Also, is it possible to give REAL full control to someone who is not the
owner, or do I have to use the Windows chown program written by samba team
first?

In other words, tell me everything you know about ACLs! :) Actually, if I
get enough information I can help update the Samba HOWTO for this purpose.

Thank you!

Tom