[Samba] Cant Change Password from W2K client

Vizitiu, Ciprian CVizitiu at gbif.org
Mon Jul 14 06:53:07 GMT 2003

> Hello again all. I am only having one problem with my shiny new PDC
> running Samba 2.2.8a -- The client can't change their password from
> their own machine! The error returned is:
>
> "The user name or old password is incorrect. Letters must be
> typed using
> the correct case. Make sure that Caps Lock is not accidentally on"
>
> A search of the mailing list archives, a google search, and
> others have
> not been able to yield results. Here is what I have tried so far:
>
> - made sure the correct case was being used
> - made sure the (old) password was correct
> - made sure the  username in both smbpasswd and /etc/passwd
> was lowercase
> - restarted the smbd daemon
> - combed through smb.conf
>
> and nothing. Can anyone offer advice? My smb.conf is below:

> 	passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n
> *Retype*new*UNIX*password* %n\n *Enter*new*UNIX*password*
> %n\n *Retype*new*UNIX*password* %n\n *passwd:
> *all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*
> 	unix password sync = Yes
> 	log level = 2

If you're on RH, the above sequence for password chat is wrong. Set "unix
password sync = No" and see if it makes a difference!! If yes then you'll
have to set "log level = 103 " and  "passwd chat debug = yes" and look in
the logs! Upon careful examination you'll see what's wrong in the above
"chat" sequence.