[Samba] Windows 2000 Profiles Through Freeswan VPN

Dave Addison dave at redmoor.org.uk
Sun Jul 13 12:58:13 GMT 2003

In message <001e01c31648$87463ed0$6501a8c0 at starmobile>, Landon Chelf
<landonc at starrobbins.com> writes
>Hello,
>
>I have setup a samba server at my office as a PDC it stores the profiles
>on the server fine.  I can access the profiles from any computer in the
>office just fine.  My problem is that I work from home 4 days a week and
>need to access my work profile.  I currently VPN into the office network
>via freeswan.  I can log into the the domain from the vpn'd connection
>and I can access the samba shares.  I have samba setup as a WINS server
>and everything is working great.  I am just unable to access my Win2k
>profile through the VPN.  Can anyone tell me how to fix this and if it
>is even possible.
>
>Landon

You're doing better than I am. I've never managed to get a client
machine to successfully join a domain across my VPN.

I always seems to time out. I seem to remember from using NT4 that
Windows will decide to use the local profile when it decides that the
network link is unacceptably slow. How you modify this behaviour I never
had occasion to find out (see first paragraph).
--
Dave Addison