[Samba] Changing passwd as ordinary user

Vizitiu, Ciprian CVizitiu at gbif.org
Fri Jul 11 15:01:32 GMT 2003

> when I try to change my password as ordinary user using
> "smbpasswd", I get the following error message:
>
> machine 127.0.0.1 rejected the password change: Error was :
> RAP86: The specified password is invalid.
>
> I'm sure my old password is correct and the new password also.
>
> If I change the ordinary user password as root, everything
> works fine...

How about some details? As a wild guess, maybe your samba attempts to change
*BOTH* the UNIX password and the samba password and if one fails the it is
failure. For example if you're on RH, the default argument for doing this in
smb.conf (that is for changing also the UNIX password) does not work. Try
for example unix password sync = no in your smb.conf and see if it makes any
difference...