[Samba] Kerberos, local share problem

Matt Disney disney at ece.utk.edu
Thu Jul 10 03:48:23 GMT 2003

Hi, all.

I'm running Samba 3.0.0beta2 with Kerberos 1.3 on RedHat8.  My object is
for this server to join an Active Directory for the purpose of serving
files to the other clients in the ADS.  Eventually, I would like to
throw winbind into the mix, but I'm having problems I would like to sort
out before things are further complicated.

I have configured kerberos and samba to the extent that I can:
o   kinit and klist to see my tickets,
o   somewhat successfully join the ADS and see information (such as
status, users, and groups),
o   anonymously (not using kerberos) connect to the standard-config
"tmp" share, setup locally on this host.

However, when I try to connect to the local "tmp" share using kerberos
(smbclient -k //localhost/tmp) I receive an NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
error. The error from the log is this:

[2003/07/09 23:30:21, 1] smbd/sesssetup.c:reply_spnego_kerberos(175)
  Failed to verify incoming ticket!

Also, I don't know if it is related but I wasn't able to use kpasswd to
change the password.  The error is:  "Cannot find KDC for requested
realm changing password."

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Matt