[Samba] File sharing

Vizitiu, Ciprian CVizitiu at gbif.org
Wed Jul 9 17:21:31 GMT 2003

> Hi I'm running freesco as a router/web server/email server
> with Samba 2.2.8 installed. On my Win 2000 box i have shares
> to /www and /wwa. I would like to be able to see all the
> freesco files and folders on my Win2000 box.
>
> I'M not concerend about security I'M on a private network
> just the 2 computers. This is stricly for learning as I dont
> know a lot about Linux and have truble editing config files
> and things like that.

There are plenty of tutorials for linux beginners on the web. Make your way
to the terminal learn about vi or joe editors and then start by making W2K
and freesco belong to the same workgroup. The key file is /etc/smb.conf.
After editing you want to restart samba. This heavily depends of your
distribution. While you're at the terminal do a man smb.conf. Then define a
share like the examples in smb.conf, e.g. begin with the well known [public]
make sure you alter the path. If you're thinking about sharing the root of
your www server beware of permissions. If you really don't care about
security start with:

   directory mode = 0777
   force create mode = 0777
   force directory mode = 0777