[Samba] Pseudo-GPO Support for Samba

Erich Vinson evinson at trginc.us
Wed Jul 9 15:38:55 GMT 2003

I have a bunch of W2K clients on my network and I want to be able to use
GPOs, but REFUSE to go the M$ route ;-)

Since GPOs are essentially registry entries, it might be somewhat easy
to implement a simple program that could give admins that fine-grain
control that is missing from NT4-style .pol files.

What I would like to propose is a simple Win32 executable that could
read from an encrypted text file (so the end-user can't change the
entries) and stick those into the registry via logon scripting. I'm not
one of those people that say "OK, here's an idea now someone make it,"
I'm perfectly willing and able to contribute.

My questions for this are:

- Am I barking up the wrong tree? Is there already another workaround?
- Would anyone out there actually use it?
- Is it truly practical?

Any advice on this from the community will be greatly appreciated.

--
Erich Vinson
Chief of Technology