[Samba] What is faster...windows vs Samba

andy thomas andy at ic.ac.uk
Wed Jul 9 13:47:54 GMT 2003

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003, Jake Johnson wrote:

> Hello,
> I am just curious...which is faster?  Obviously if the machines are the
> same size and all conditions are equal except for the OS.

samba is definitely faster. I replaced five Win2k servers at one client's
office with a single Linux box running Slackware 8.0 and samba 2.2.8. In
addition to Windows file & print services, it this single machine runs a
development web site, a fax server (with optional web interface), a
mailserver and it also backs up to tape a number of remote production web
servers. Even with this additional load, it's still faster than Windows
and of course never crashes.

Andy