[Samba] use of silent option with smbpasswd

Philipp Stader me at ph1l.de
Sat Jul 5 07:45:39 GMT 2003

Hi,

thanks for your help

Hi,

thanks for your help. Could it be that i expressed me wrong? I tried
with the hint you gave me but i still don't get it to work. Samba
Version is 2.2.3a-12.3, there is no samba server/client running locally.
All i need to do (at least for know) is to change a users password from
a shell script on a remote NT4 PDC from a Linux Box.

I tried as root with
smbpasswd -r ntserv -U phil%oldpass -s -L phil newpass

-r to point to the NT4 PDC
-U myuser%oldpassword
-s for silent
-L myuser desirednewpassword

All it does is show me the short usage text :-(

Any more hints for me?
Kind regards from Germany

Phil

On Fri, 4 Jul 2003, Philipp Stader wrote:

> Hello everyone
>
> unfortunatly i haven't been able to figure out how to use smbpasswd
from
> a shell script with the -s option. Anyone able to provide me with an
> example how to change a password for a user on a remote PDC?
>
> as root calling smbpasswd -r ntserv username newpassword asks me for
the
> old password. i didn't get it to work with -s.

It is broken in samba-3.0.0 right now. There is a bug report on it.

It should work fine in samba-2.2.x:
	smbpasswd -s -L username password

- John T.
--