[Samba] how to check open connections/files without smbstatus / swat

organix4 at mindspring.com organix4 at mindspring.com
Thu Jul 3 17:56:10 GMT 2003

Hi!

Götz Reinicke <goetz.reinicke at filmakademie.de> wrote on 7/3/2003 9:58:46 AM:

>Hi,
>
>I have one user who should be able to _view_ all open files and
>connections on a samba server.
>
>He should not be allowed to login to the server by telnet or ssh to use
>smbstatus, nore should he be able to use swat as long as he could view
>the configfile.
>
>So my question: is there a way to configure swat for one user to only
>view the opened connections? Or dose someone has an other idea?

If you happen to be running a web server on the Samba box, you might run a CGI script
that presents the output of smbstatus to a password protected web page.  That's how I did
something similar here. Using this method, I have an internal web page that shows a list
of users currently connected, and another that lists open files.  I could provide copies
of the Perl scripts if you're interested.

--
Bill Grzanich
IT Manager