[Samba] Problems using samba as a print server

Rob Tanner rtanner+samba at linfield.edu
Wed Jul 2 18:15:09 GMT 2003

Hi,

I set up Samaba 2.2.7 on a RedHat 9 box to act as a print server.  The
Samba server is a member of the domain and will be sharing about a dozen
printers.  I am using lprng in conjunction with ifhp in order to do
charge-back print accounting.  But here's the glitch: the server is not
hosting any file shares and basically has only a couple of local accounts.
The result is that when domain users access the server they connect as
"nobody" (the guest user) even though guest access is NOT enabled.  This
means that the user id in the printer logs is "nobody".  Without having to
create and maintain some 3,000 local accounts on the box, how can I get
around the problem (i.e., get the real user name attached to the
connection rather than nobody)?

Thanks.

Rob Tanner
UNIX Services Manager