[Samba] How to authenticate to CVS via Winbind?

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Wed Jul 2 13:46:13 GMT 2003

> Message: 11
> Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 16:29:17 +0200
> From: "Tobias Mueller" <tmueller at a-i-c.de>
> Subject: [Samba] How to authenticate to CVS via Winbind?
> To: <samba at lists.samba.org>
>
> Hi!
>
> As a Samba newbie I have a big problem getting my Win2000 Server PDC users
> to authenticate to CVS/SSH on my samba 2.2.3a-12.3 debian woody
machine. The
> linux server is member of the Windows Domain, and users can login via the
> network neighbourhood and their domain passwords (style: DOMAIN\user).

What do you mean by log in? Do you mean access via samba (which only the
nss bits of winbind, not the pam bits), or do you mean via console login
or similar?

Testing with ssh is probably not the best, get it working with console
login or similar first, then try ssh. Also, you may want to investigate
abusing 'winbind use default domain' (which is only available on later
versions of samba, and can apparently mess with some aspects of samba
use, so I would only suggest it if you are hosting other services and
not samba).

> wbinfo -u gives me all the known Domain users, so I think winbind is
working
> correctly...

That is one of 3 things which must work ...

> Is there a detailled documentation out there showing how to fix these
> problems? Use google a lot, but didn't find appropriate solutions for my
> environment. As far as I understood, one has to use the pam_winbind.so
> module (in /etc/nsswitch.for example) which is installed on my system.

No, for pam winbind, you need to configure your /etc/pam.d/ files

> I would be very thankful if somebody could give me a hint.
> Thanks a lot in advance,

Example configs for RH and Mandrake that should get this working (I
demo'ed cvs in the talk after live installation of Mandrake 9.0):

http://ranger.dnsalias.com/mandrake/samba/Integrating%20Linux%20into%20Windows%20Networks.tar.gz

BTW, this kind of application should work mostly out-the-box on Mandrake
 9.1 if you configure Windows Domain authentication during installation.

Regards,
Buchan

- --
Cellphone * Work            +27 82 472 2231 * +27 21 8828820x202