[Samba] Samba 3 Beta and Encryption Issues

Dan Kador shoutinwhispers at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 1 14:00:10 GMT 2003

Hi All,

This is an update/question about the new beta release of Samba.  I installed it onto a test bay.  One machine is Redhat 7.3, one is XP.  For our purposes, the clients need to have encryption turned off (IE: we enabled cleartext passwords).  With Samba 2.2.7, I had PDC support, including roving profiles and login scripts working when ecryption was turned on, both server-side and client-side.  Unfortunately, I need to have encryption turned off due to server issues that are unavoidable at the moment.  Now, with the new beta release, I have the exact same connectivity level working, only with encryption turned on server side, but turned OFF client side.  As somebody else posted - is this a bug, or a feature? :)

Our ideal solution would be to have encryption turned off server side and use an LDAP backend for authentication.  With Samba 3, will it be possible to do so and still support roving profiles and true domain logins?  Migrating passwords would be a huge hassle.

Thanks for your help!

Dan