[Samba] CUPs and Samba and XP

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Thu Jan 30 10:17:28 GMT 2003

> Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 11:06:53 -0800
> From: <hans at sbsfor.com>
> To: "Samba" <samba at lists.samba.org>
> Subject: [Samba] CUPs and Samba and XP
> Message: 2
>
> Hullo All.
>
> The preamble....  Samba 2.2.7a compiled against CUPS, CUPs v 1.1.6 (version
> that came with Mandrake 9.0), using client side drivers (raw printing) on
> XP.
>
> Printing works, cancelling jobs via the web interface works after the
> spooling is done.  What doesn't work.  Pausing jobs (though that's not as
> important as the next trouble) and cancelling jobs from XP.

Note that you can't really have user control of print jobs unless the
user is authenticating to the server, and you haven't given any detail
on how you are setup. Easiest way to tell on a default installation is
if you see a share on the server with the username you are logged into
windows with. If you don't, you're either going to have to add unix
accounts (if they don't exist) which match the windows user names (or
use a username map) and set their smbpasswd (smbpasswd -a <user>) or
provide more info on how your authentication is setup.

This works fine here, using the samba-2.2.7a-3mdk RPMs available at
http://ranger.dnsalias.com/mandrake/samba on mandrake 8.0-9.0.

> If I cancel a
> job by hitting the cancel button on a windows print dialogue, the program
> freezes until I manually restart the XP print spooler service.  If I cancel
> a job by hitting cancel in the print spooler window, the job does get
> cancelled (it disappears from the spooler window), but the same problem, the
> program freezes until I manually restart the spooler.  Anybody seen this
> before.   I didn't have this trouble when I was using lpd, just recently
> with cups.  One other side issue, i always have to manually refresh the
> spooler screen (F5) to see current activity.  Is there a setting that I'm
> missing that will do that for me.

Printing to samba also doens't work that well if you have the XP
firewall enabled, which be default firewalls off 137-139, preventing
samba from being able to send a reply. This also affects printers on
Windows NT servers.

> Thanks for any and all help.
>
> Hans Rasmussen
> Drafting/GIS Coordinator

FYI, grass-5.0.0 is in Mandrake 9.0 contribs if that would interest you ...

Buchan