[Samba] Having problems getting RH72 Samba to join a W2K Domain

Ben Keepper bkeepper at southlandtechnology.com
Wed Jan 29 22:54:23 GMT 2003

I actually did it successfully on a test network
(the Win2K is mixed-mode), but when I took the same Samba server
and plugged it into the real network, I could't get
"smbpasswd -j bottlerocket.com" to fly.

Now realize when I did this in a test network, I set up a dummy Win2K DC
for this same domain, same IP address, etc.  So I think something has
a conflicting, duplicate entry.  I must need to delete a file or two,
just not sure which ones. I did delete the something.tdb file (I can't
remember the name, and I don't have access to the box from here), but it
keeps coming back.

Here is the error:

cli_net_req_chal: error NT_STATUS_INVALID_COMPUTER_NAME
cli_nt_setup_creds: request challange failed
modify_trust_passwd: unable to setup the PDC credentials to machine
192.168.2.159.  Error was: NT_STATUS_INVALID_COMPUTER_NAME
change_trust_account_password:failed to change password for domain
Bottlerocket.com
unable to join domain bottlerocket.com

Any ideas?

smb.conf: