[Samba] CUPs and Samba and XP

hans at sbsfor.com hans at sbsfor.com
Wed Jan 29 19:06:53 GMT 2003

Hullo All.

The preamble....  Samba 2.2.7a compiled against CUPS, CUPs v 1.1.6 (version
that came with Mandrake 9.0), using client side drivers (raw printing) on
XP.

Printing works, cancelling jobs via the web interface works after the
spooling is done.  What doesn't work.  Pausing jobs (though that's not as
important as the next trouble) and cancelling jobs from XP.  If I cancel a
job by hitting the cancel button on a windows print dialogue, the program
freezes until I manually restart the XP print spooler service.  If I cancel
a job by hitting cancel in the print spooler window, the job does get
cancelled (it disappears from the spooler window), but the same problem, the
program freezes until I manually restart the spooler.  Anybody seen this
before.   I didn't have this trouble when I was using lpd, just recently
with cups.  One other side issue, i always have to manually refresh the
spooler screen (F5) to see current activity.  Is there a setting that I'm
missing that will do that for me.

Thanks for any and all help.

Hans Rasmussen
Drafting/GIS Coordinator