[Samba] Winbind Problems and doubts

Errol Neal eneal at bnbtv.com
Wed Jan 29 18:52:03 GMT 2003

Greetings from Maryland :-),

What is your windowmaker using for authentication? Is it using PAM? If so, there should be a pam control file in /etc/pam.d. That is where i would start first. Are you using xdm, gdm or kde? I may not be correct (and I am sure someone will correct my in-correctedness), but I believe that the auth is normally performed by the display manager. What distribution are you using?

Okay, there was a way to circumvent the "Domain+user" thing. It involved using a different PAM module and running a daemon process. I used it before my company upgrade to win2k, and after we upgraded, I could not get it to work anymore (probably because our Active Directory mode was not mixed mode). I think the module superceded the pam_ntdom module or it may have been that module itself. It's been a while so forgive me. But if you are interested in going that route, you can do some searching on the Linux PAM home page under the modules link.

Lastly, /etc/pam.d contains control files for different services. Normally, they are named after the service name. So if you want to say allow users your win2k users to login to your box at a terminal, you will more than likely have to tweak the login control file.

I sincerely hope that this helps..

Best Regards,

Errol Neal

From: "Igor Debacker" <igor at ccj.ufsc.br>