SUMMARY: [Samba] Can't unzip package

Christian Campbell ccampbell at brueggers.com
Wed Jan 29 13:29:30 GMT 2003

Thanks to those who replied:
Martin Pool
Jerry Carter

I assumed it was a bad .gz file on the Samba site.  The problem was that I
FTPd the file through a browser.  When I FTPd using an FTP client, it
gunziped fine.  Apparently the browser caused some type of problem.

Cheers,

Christian

Original Post below:

I just upgraded to Solaris 8, and downloaded the the following binary
package from www.samba.org:

samba-2.2.7-sol8-suncc-64bit.pkg.gz

When trying to gunzip it, here is my output:

/home/ccampbell # gunzip samba-2.2.7-sol8-suncc-64bit.pkg.gz
gunzip: samba-2.2.7-sol8-suncc-64bit.pkg.gz: not in gzip format

/home/ccampbell # file samba-2.2.7-sol8-suncc-64bit.pkg.gz
samba-2.2.7-sol8-suncc-64bit.pkg.gz:    English text

Yes...I did FTP in binary mode.  I'm used to Solaris 2.6 and tar.Z files,
not pkg.gz files.