[Samba] ldap_modify_s Insufficient access

Thorsten D. Marsen t.d.marsen at web.de
Tue Jan 28 23:59:23 GMT 2003

Hi, we are running Samba 2.2.5 using LDAP und pam_ldap (pam_unix2 with
auth+account+password=use_ldap) as PDC out of the SuSE 8.1 distribution. It
runs very well: Login für Unix&Samba ok, Passwort-Change for Samba via
smbpasswd Ok and we are able to manipulate the Linux Password in LDAP using
the GQ Client. The only thing that doesn't work is "passwd" itself:

venezuela:/home/tdm # passwd guest
Changing password for guest.
Enter login(LDAP) password:
New password:
Bad password: a palindrome
Re-enter new password:
LDAP password information update failed: Unknown error

Password changed
venezuela:/home/tdm #

and in /var/log/messages:
Jan 28 13:39:47 venezuela passwd[28505]: pam_ldap: ldap_modify_s
Insufficient access

Can you please help, because this is a very important issue for us! Thanks
in advance,
Thorsten.

Some conf-staff:

/etc/openldap/ldap.conf
host    192.168.1.1
base    dc=tdm-consult, dc=com
ssl     no
# für nss_ldap
crypt   des
# für pam_ldap
pam_filter      objectclass=posixAccount
pam_login_attribute     uid
pam_crypt       local
pam_password    crypt
ldap_version    3

/etc/openldap/slap.conf
suffix          "dc=tdm-consult,dc=com"
rootdn          "cn=tdm,dc=tdm-consult,dc=com"
rootpw          {crypt}...

/etc/pam.d/passwd
auth required   pam_unix2.so    nullok
account required        pam_unix2.so
password required       pam_pwcheck.so  nullok
password required       pam_unix2.so    nullok use_first_pass use_authtok
session required        pam_unix2.so

/etc/security/pam_unix2
auth:   use_ldap nullok
account:        use_ldap