[Samba] unable to join 2000 to samba domain

Mike Rambo mrambo at lsd.k12.mi.us
Mon Jan 27 21:16:00 GMT 2003

I have a situation where some 2000 machines are unable to join the samba
domain. We have about 50 machines of which two thirds are 2000 boxes.
All of the 9x boxes log to the samba domain with no trouble. Of the 2000
machines we have two groups - some IBM's and some Dell's with the Dell's
being a couple of months older. All of the IBM's joined the domain
without problems. None of the Dell's would. They both are 2000SP1. After
wiping and reinstalling 2000SP2 on the Dell's most of them now also join
the domain. However, I have a handful (4 or 5) machine that after wiping
still refuse to join the domain. Here is the error I get...

An error occurred attempting to join the domain "CLCCA".
The account used is a computer account. Use your global user account or
local user account to access this server.

I am logged onto the local machine as the local administrator and am
using the server root user account to join the domain. I believe I have
performed that same steps on all of these machines yet I have this
problem with some of them. Can anyone shed some light on what this error
means and what I can do to rectify it?

On a related subject, is there a way to create a second user account
that local building people can use to join machines to the domain
without giving out the server root password?

Thanks.

--
Mike Rambo
mrambo at lsd.k12.mi.us