[Samba] login from winxp machine

Jalene Joyner Jalene.Joyner at mail.state.ar.us
Tue Jan 21 21:14:01 GMT 2003

I have two servers running samba 2.2.27 on redhat 7.3 os.  I have
configured the servers identically with the exception of having
different netbios names in order to differentiate the servers when
looking at them through network neighborhood.  One of the machines I
have no difficulty logging into (with win xp) and manipulating files.  I
have noticed when you do this you will be told that you are "connecting
to (with the name of the machine)"  which is right above the user name
field.  At the top of the window in the blue band you see "Connect to
(with the name of the machine).  On the server that I can log into the
names of the machines in the 'connecting' and 'connect' messages are the
same.  On the machine I cannot log in on they are different.  It is as
though it is showing the name of the machine when it was an NT box on a
different domain.   Do I have to make this machine have a static ip
address to get this to work properly?  If so what is the linux command
to setup the ip address?  Or do I have a problem with my samba
configuration?

Here is my snb.conf file

# Samba config file created using SWAT

# from localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1)

# Date: 2003/01/21 14:15:25

# Global parameters

[global]

      workgroup = HDS

      netbios name = oittic1

      server string = samba

      encrypt passwords = Yes

      obey pam restrictions = Yes

      pam password change = Yes

      passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u

      passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n

      unix password sync = Yes

      log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log

      max log size = 0

      preferred master = No