[Samba] Copy creates empty file then fails

Mark Raynes mraynes at bloomu.edu
Mon Jan 20 19:44:01 GMT 2003

When I try to copy a file from a Windows 2000 desktop
to a Solaris 8 machine running Samba 2.2.2,
the copy fails. After I initiate the copy, I get a pop-up
window asking me to replace the existing file with the
new file. The problem is that Samba is creating an
empty file (0 bytes), and then tries to overwrite it.
It won't allow me to overwrite the empty file, it just
gives me a message Access is denied.  However, I can
then turn around and delete the empty file.

I only see this behavior on desktops that have the
Novell 4.83 SP1 client installed. It doesn't happen
on every file I try (I'm only copying text files.)

I tried using force create mode at 777 and it
still fails.

I mount the drive as mraynes, and that user
owns the folder that I am trying to copy into.

This is a before and after snapshot of the dos copy command
# ls -ial
total 6
      5632 drwxrwxrwx   3 mraynes  dba          512 Jan 20 13:11 .
         2 drwxr-xr-x   4 root     root         512 Jan 17 11:18 ..
     11264 drwxrwxrwx   2 mraynes  dba          512 Jan 20 14:26
csesched
# ls -ial
total 6
      5632 drwxrwxrwx   3 mraynes  dba          512 Jan 20 14:35 .
         2 drwxr-xr-x   4 root     root         512 Jan 17 11:18 ..
     11264 drwxrwxrwx   2 mraynes  dba          512 Jan 20 14:26
csesched
      5633 -rwxrwxrwx   1 mraynes  dba            0 Jan 20 14:35
csesched.user.sql
#

This is the dos copy command I used.
(If I drag and drop, I get the owerwrite message.)
C:\>copy csesched.user.sql g:\csesched.user.sql
Access is denied.
        0 file(s) copied.

[global]
        workgroup = US
        server string = Samba Server : Oracledbs1
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m
        max log size = 50
        load printers = No