[Samba] Re: Large file support

Vytas Janusauskas vytas at dendron.com
Mon Jan 20 16:26:01 GMT 2003

Hi All,

To allow the support of file larger then 2 gigs the following  patches were
applied the system mentioned below.

CPU: Pentium Pro
Memory: 64 Megs
Kernel version: tried with 2.4.18 and 2.4.20, same errors
Distribution Debian Woody (aka 3.0)
Samba version: 2.2.3a-12
Smbfs patch version: 2.4.18 had patches applied from here :
http://www.hojdpunkten.ac.se/054/samba/index.html
2.4.20 had patches (modified from above) from here:
http://www.ps.uni-sb.de/~errror/smbfs-lfs.html

When coping files even files smaller then 2 gigs in size I get the
following error message.

cp: cannot stat `/dosworld/pent14/c/Program Files/Trend PC-cillin
  6.0/WHATSNEW.TXT': Too many open files in system

Tar of a SMB mounted directory also yield the following error message
sometimes.

smb_lookup : find foo.tif failed, error = -23
tar: foo.tif : cannot open; too many open files in system.  Checking the
file handles available showed that I am not even close to using them up.

The following message occasionally appears on the server console, though I
do not know if it is related with the above problem

smb_instantiate: foo.tif failed, error -23, closing 186

When I roll back the changes and tested with the same files none of the
above errors occur.

Can anyone shed some light on what I may be doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Vytas

Vytas Janusauskas
Dendron Resource Surveys Inc.