[Samba] Adding a machine; I think I am onto something

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Mon Jan 20 13:50:01 GMT 2003

> Message: 19
> Subject: Re: [Samba] Adding a machine; I think I am onto something
> From: Dariush Forouher <dariush at forouher.de>
> To: Jim C <jcllings at tsunamicomm.net>
> Cc: Samba ML <samba at lists.samba.org>
> Date: 19 Jan 2003 12:52:37 +0100
>

> --=-+wK3KcK7Sqyp6lPAjR1a
>
> Am Son, 2003-01-19 um 10.19 schrieb Jim C:
>
>>> libnss-ldap.conf?  I don't seem to have that file anywhere.
>>> I suppose I should warn you that this is a Mandrake system.  I do have=20
>>> nss-ldap installed as well as pam-ldap.
>
> Well, it might be named different by Mandrake. SuSE's one is somewhere
> behind /etc/ldap. Have a look into your docs provided by mandrake or
> perform a find after 'ldap'.

/etc/ldap.conf

> Why do you wan't to put the machines somewhere else anyway? You can't
> hide them before unix because samba uses them. If you wan't to make your
> ldap more clear and easier to administrate, just put all your machine
> trust accounts into a "folder" below ou=3DPeople, e.g.
> ou=3Dcomputers,ou=3DPeople,... Samba will find them without changing any
> configuration.

Actually, what you can do is use a different search-base on your DCs
than on your other desktops and other servers, then 'getent passwd' or a
{k,g,x}dm wil only show user accounts. Of course, on the DCs, both samba
and nss should be looking in the right places

BTW, you are aware that machine addition worked fine on 2.2.6 (AFAICR)?

I will try and take a look again shortly, but we've just migrated from
our old DC/LDAP server to a new one and one or two things are still
broken (unix password changes in LDAP ...).

Buchan