[Samba] File Creation Dates Question

Mike McMullen mlm at loanprocessing.net
Mon Jan 20 01:28:01 GMT 2003

Hi Joel,

Replies below...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joel Hammer" <Joel at HammersHome.com>
To: "Mike McMullen" <mlm at loanprocessing.net>; <samba at lists.samba.org>
Sent: Sunday, January 19, 2003 3:12 PM
Subject: Re: [Samba] File Creation Dates Question

> I just ran
>
> for i in `find . -maxdepth 1 -perm 000`
> do
> touch $i
> chmod 777 $i
> done
>
> on a directory with 1700 files. It found, touch'ed, and chmod'ed 17 files
> with 000 permissions in less than one second on an AMD 267 mh.
>
> find is an executable binary, not some slow perl or bash script.
> So, it may not be too great a burden on your cpu to run this find command
> every minute.

Well, it's up to 1000 new files a day with roughly 90-120 days worth
of active files before they are archived so you'd be looking at around
60,000 - 90,000 file timestamps to be checked every minute. The server
does lots of other stuff and it seems like a waste of CPU to go through
all of that.

> The inability of samba to automatically change the access times of
uploaded
> files sounds like a feature, not a bug!

I'm not certain this is an issue with samba. It may be how smb/cifs works.
I think it's a reasonable expectation that when I make a copy of a file, the
copy should have a timestamp of  when it was created, not when the original
file was created. If this was simply moving the file then I'd expect the
original timestamp to stay.

> Joel

Thank you for your efforts,

Mike