[Samba] File Creation Dates Question

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Sun Jan 19 23:13:00 GMT 2003

I just ran

for i in `find . -maxdepth 1 -perm 000`
do
touch $i
chmod 777 $i
done

on a directory with 1700 files. It found, touch'ed, and chmod'ed 17 files
with 000 permissions in less than one second on an AMD 267 mh.

find is an executable binary, not some slow perl or bash script.
So, it may not be too great a burden on your cpu to run this find command
every minute.

Give the speed of the find command, is there a reason why you wouldn't just
send the email message every minute, instead of waiting 5 minutes between
messages.

Or, run the find command every five minutes, then the email command.

The inability of samba to automatically change the access times of uploaded
files sounds like a feature, not a bug!

Joel