[Samba] Cannot reconnect network drives from Windows XP

Herb Lewis herb at sgi.com
Fri Jan 17 17:51:01 GMT 2003

The only way to have automatic reconnects is to use encrypted passwords.
When windows prompts the user for the password it is very misleading.
It is not because they don't know the password. They are actually just
warning that they are about to send the password in plaintext (insecure
if you are not on a secure switched network) and want to make sure that
isREALLY what you want ot do.

rwk at americom.com wrote:

> Dear Samba List,
>
> My Windows XP machine is unable to reconnect my Linux samba network
> drive when I login.  I installed:
>
>       Win2000_PlainPassword.reg
>
> which allows me to connect manually, but it is a requirement that this
> be automatic on each login.
>
> Has anyone found a way to achieve this?
>
> Thanks,
> Dick

Herb Lewis                               Silicon Graphics
Networking Engineer                      1600 Amphitheatre Pkwy MS-510
Strategic Software Organization          Mountain View, CA  94043-1351
herb at sgi.com                             Tel: 650-933-2177
http://www.sgi.com                       Fax: 650-932-2177
PGP Key: 0x8408D65D