[Samba] First letter in filenames missing

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Fri Jan 17 12:14:00 GMT 2003

> Message: 12
> From: "Torben Ellgaard" <t_ell at vip.cybercity.dk>
> To: <samba at lists.samba.org>
> Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 02:50:14 +0100
> Subject: [Samba] First letter in filenames missing

> ------=_NextPart_000_000B_01C2BDD3.29618040
>
> I am new to Linux and Samba, but I have resently started experimenting =
> by installing a Mandrake 9.0 on an old PC. I am trying to use this as a =
> file server accessible from my Window 98 SE PC.
>
> So far I have managed to install Samba and the Linux PC is visible in =
> the Windows Network Neighborhood, but files can not be accessed. I think =
> this is a password issue, that I can solve by reading a bit and setting =
> up the right users on the Linux box. i will return if this problem =
> persists.

Run 'smbpasswd -a <user>' as root, where <user> is replaced with an
existing unix account (ie with 'useradd <user>') which matches the
username the user uses on windows.

> BUT, The odd thing that is the issue of this mail is, that when I browse =
> on the Linux box to see the files on the Windows PC, I can see the =
> shares, folders and files, but in all filenames and foldernames the =
> first letter is missing!

Please run MandrakeUpdate. This, and many other issues (including
security vulnerabilities in other software) will be fixed.

Buchan