[Samba] Configure error: cant find test code

Markus A Lien markus at ccicon.com
Fri Jan 17 03:14:01 GMT 2003

After googling the archives for the answer to my problem (thank you Andrew) I discovered that I am not alone with the problem I am having.  Although I found no solutions to the problem.  I will try to give a little more detail than some of the others who have posted this problem.

I have a RH 7.3 system with a very minimal install (I am a firm believer in installing from source)
The goal is to build a mail server (no GUI or any other extras)
The first thing I attempted to install was Samba 2.2.7a (I love the connectivity that Samba gives :-)
After extracting the source to /usr/src/samba-2.2.7a, I cd'd to /usr/src/samba-2.2.7a/source.
attempted to do ./configure --mandir=/usr/man        (although it also didn't work without --mandir=/usr/man)
and I got the following error:

Checking for test routines.configure: error: cant find test code.
Aborting config

I will attach the config.log to the end of the message.

I attempted to modify the configure script to hard code the path to the test code, no luck.  I tried extracting the source on my RH6.1 server (already running an old copy of Samba) did a ./configure and it worked perfectly ;-\

Here is the last few lines of config.log (I tried submiting this before with the complete text but I must have been over some size limit)

int main() {

uint32 testvar;

; return 0; }

configure:10699: checking for conflicting AUTH_ERROR define in rpc/rpc.h

configure:10719: gcc -c -O -O2 -march=i386 -mcpu=i686 -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_GNU_SOURCE conftest.c 1>&5

configure:10740: checking for test routines

configure:10749: gcc -o conftest -O -O2 -march=i386 -mcpu=i686 -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_GNU_SOURCE -Wl,-rpath,/usr/lib conftest.c -lcups -lssl -lcrypto -lnsl -lcrypt 1>&5

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lssl

collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

configure: failed program was:

#line 10745 "configure"