[Samba] Samba and MC/Service Guard

mlh at zip.com.au mlh at zip.com.au
Thu Jan 16 23:59:02 GMT 2003

On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 01:29:50PM -0600, Dan Doffermyre wrote:
> Samba friends,
>
> I work in Wal-Mart's IT department, specifically with Unix Servers of
> various flavors, but HP-UX is predominant in our Home Office environment.
>
> I recently built an two node HA cluster on HP 11.11 boxes.  I want to be
> able to have Samba use the virtual name of my cluster.  Currently Samba is
> configured to use the hardcoded box name, however if the box happens to go
> down, we have to go in and reconfigure the clients to point to the secondary
> box name.  Sure would be nice to point everything to the virtual name.  So I
> was wondering if you have any documents that explain how you would go about
> setting up Samba with HP's MC/Service Guard?

I've configured Samba to work with MC/SG.

I didn't use HP's configuration.  I installed Samba on both nodes,
and used the smb.conf 'include' feature to include a bit of configuration
file from a file in the cluster package, to refer to the share
in the cluster package.  On the node that the cluster package is not
running, samba cannot find the 'included' file of course, but that
doesn't bother Samba.

You then get the clients to connect to the virtual (cluster) ip/name.
This will work if you have Samba listening on all addresses, as is the
default.

Works fine, and you don't need to stop/start Samba when a package
switches, so you don't bother all the other packages which may be
using Samba at the same time.

If you want more info, I'd be happy to oblige.

Matt