[Samba] Configuring Samba Users

Kaplan, Andrew H. AHKAPLAN at PARTNERS.ORG
Thu Jan 16 21:21:47 GMT 2003

Hi there,

I am trying to configure users to be able to connect to a SMB share. Here is
the situation:

Operating System: HP-UX 10.20

Samba Location: /usr/local/samba

Location of smbpasswd: /etc/smbpasswd

Location of smbusers: /etc/smbusers

The workstation is part of an NIS domain.

Password encryption: yes

Whenever I try to connect to the samba share from a Windows NT or 2000
machine, I am prompted
for a username and password. Unfortunately, no matter what combination of
username and password
I enter, I am NOT able to connect to the samba share.

Also, if I log onto the UNIX system via an NIS account and try to change my
smbpasswd via the
smbpasswd command, I get the following error message:

MACHINE 127.0.0.1 REJECTED THE PASSWORD CHANGE: ERROR WAS: RAP86: THE
SPECIFIED
PASSWORD IS INVALID. FAILED TO CHANGE PASSWORD FOR USER.

I could use some help. Thanks.