[Samba] Winbind authenticated users - no home directory

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Thu Jan 16 09:50:01 GMT 2003

> Message: 13
> Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 11:48:43 -0800
> From: John Oliver <joliver at john-oliver.net>
> To: samba at samba.org
> Subject: [Samba] Winbind authenticated users - no home directory
>
> When I log on with an NT user to a Linux machine via winbind, I get
> complaints about no home directory and wind up in /  The docs don't
> mention this at all.  How to fix?

Setup pam_mkhomedir.

See this example (which can be used to replace /etc/pam.d/system-auth,
at least on Mandrake)
http://cvs.samba.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/samba/packaging/Mandrake/system-auth-winbind.pamd?rev=1.2&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup

Ensure that the parent directory of the users home does exist,
pam_mkhomedir doesn't make deep directories. If you want samba to make
home directories via pam_mkhomedir, you need to set 'obey pam
restrictions = yes' in your smb.conf.

More winbind examples (configs for Mandrake 9.0 and RH 8.0, plus a
presentation and some notes):

http://ranger.dnsalias.com/mandrake/samba/Integrating%20Linux%20into%20Windows%20Networks.tar.gz

Of course, knowing which distro you are using and what steps you took or
which docs you followed would help.

Buchan