[Samba] msdfs samba client - Linux CIFS Client

Ralf Gross Ralf-Lists at RalfGross.de
Thu Jan 16 09:53:01 GMT 2003

Hello,

my company recently changed the stucture of some shares (Win2000). Since
then, we are not able to access these shares from Linux/Solaris anymore.

I tried smbmount and smbclient and can access the top-level directory of
the share and see the directory structure, but I can't see any data inside
these directories.

A few days ago, someone told me that msdfs is used for the new structure
of these fileservers. As far as I know, smbclient and smbmount doesn't
support msdfs with redirects, so I tried the Linux Kernel patch for the
Linux cifs client (http://de.samba.org/samba/Linux_CIFS_client.html).

I successfully patched the kernel (debian 2.4.19), installed the modules
and placed mount.cifs under /bin. I'm able to mount my home share from one
server (no msdfs).

mount -t cifs //server/uid$ /mnt -o
username=uid,domain=domain,pass=pass,unc=//server/uid$

But I get an error if I try to mount the msdfs share.

mount -t cifs //server/share /mnt -o
username=uid,domain=domain,pass=pass,unc=//server/share

mount: Not a directory

Here is a trace I did with ethereal (without details).

 Src    Dst    P            Info
client server SMB  Negotiate Protocol Request
server client SMB  Negotiate Protocol Response
client server SMB  Session Setup AndX Request, User: domain\uid
server client SMB  Session Setup AndX Response
client server SMB  Tree Connect AndX Request, Path: \\server\share server
client SMB  Tree Connect AndX Response
client server SMB  Transaction2 Request QUERY_FS_INFORMATION
server client SMB  Transaction2 Response QUERY_FS_INFORMATION
client server SMB  Transaction2 Request QUERY_FS_INFORMATION
server client SMB  Transaction2 Response QUERY_FS_INFORMATION
client server SMB  Transaction2 Request QUERY_PATH_INFORMATION, Path:
server client SMB  Transaction2 Response QUERY_PATH_INFORMATION, Error:
                                               STATUS_PATH_NOT_COVERED
client server SMB  Tree Connect AndX Request, Path: \\server\IPC$
server client SMB  Tree Connect AndX Response
client server SMB  Transaction2 Request GET_DFS_REFERRAL, File:
                                                       \\server\share
server client SMB  Transaction2 Response GET_DFS_REFERRAL
client server SMB  Tree Disconnect Request
server client SMB  Tree Disconnect Response
client server SMB  Logoff AndX Request
server client SMB  Logoff AndX Response

Is there anything more I could try?

I can't expect much help from the people who are responsible for these
Win2000 servers. Linux/Unix is not a supported OS...

Thanks, Ralf