[Samba] Solaris + Samba + Mount windows printer

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Wed Jan 15 11:30:01 GMT 2003

Well, you have been getting by on the cheap. You are "supposed" to print
with a print queue on your Solaris box which is configured to run the
smbclient command. This can get complicated, but it can be made simple. I
am not doing this now, so my advice here is generic. Also, I use linux,
not Solaris, whatever that is (wasn't that a SciFi movie?)

Read the smbprint file. It should be part of your samba sources. If you are
lucky, it will work for you.

Essentially, the print filter just says:

cat | smbclient (Command you currently use might work, without the < file at
the end.)

I have not tried it, but I suspect that the command above might be all
you would need in your print filter. Complexity is bad.

If you are new to print filters, be aware that stdin and stdout are
redefined when the filter runs. Stdin is the file you are printing,
stdout is what lp is in the printcap definition for the queue.  (To be
more exact, stdin is the datafile created in your print spool directory
by lpr, but this way lies madness.)

In your printcap, have :lp=/dev/null

So, anything sent to stdout is just sent to oblivion.

And, then fool with it.

Once you have this working, call this queue lp. It is confusing that the
queue name and the output device parameter are both called lp.

Now, if you know nothing about print queues and printcaps, readaboutit
and ask questions..

Joel