[Samba] Samba is Speedy

Benjamin Vander Jagt benjaminvanderjagt at adelphia.net
Wed Jan 15 04:13:01 GMT 2003

Hi.  I joined the mailing list just to say how pleased I am with the
speed of Samba.  I've been browsing around the threads and learning lots
of new stuff, too.

Win95 was my file server (on Athlon XP 1700+, 512MB RAM, 80GB 7200RPM,
100MBPS network).  I have about 16GB of MP3 files (nope, I don't
download music!) and when I tell Winamp to load on a client, it takes
about 80 seconds to load all the songnames (I have the "load extended
info on load" turned on).  When I first setup Samba, I thought it was
slower than my Win95 server in general usage.  I clocked a 512MB file,
and Samba was the same speed as Win95.  No surprise there.  When I tried
Winamp, though, the client took less than one second to load the
songnames.  Even when I open Winamp, wait 80 seconds for it to load the
songnames, and close and then immediately re-open it, the Win95 server
takes around 8 seconds.