[Samba] Profile migration again

Gabriel D. Preston gpreston at sgillc.com
Wed Jan 15 18:44:01 GMT 2003

I downloaded the Samba 3.0alpha22cvs version today because I am having
the same problem.  I did the ./configure, and the make, and found the
'profiles' utility in the bin directory.  I then ran it against an
ntuser.dat file that had been copied over to the Unix server from the
Win2K machine.  This is the output I received:

root at file bin # ./profiles /home/gpreston/ntuser.dat
Registry file size: 364544
First Key Off: 32, Data Block Size: 360448
Next Off: 0, Prev Off: 4096
Type: 2c
SK Off    : 105374
Incorrect SK Header format: 00008AFC

Apparently something is wrong because it can't get a SID from the
profilefile, so now I am unsure how to go about changing it to the new
one.  Also, how do I determine a user's new SID on the new system?  I
know their UID, this is in the smbusers and /etc/passwd file, but am
unsure on how I determine their SID.  Any more help on the matter?

-Gabe Preston