[Samba] Windows 2000 + roaming profiles

Chris Nolan chris at itoperations.com.au
Tue Jan 14 12:08:01 GMT 2003

Hi all,

I have a Samba 2.2.2 controlled domain (server config: Mandrake 8.1 with
ReiserFS 3.6.25) and have a bit of a problem with profiles.

Basically, there is this one user that has problems when she logs onto
her workstation for the first time each day. The actual filename
differs, but often an error message will be presented during the logon
mentioning that a file could not be downloaded from the server because
"THE NETWORK PATH WAS NOT FOUND". The file referenced is indeed there.
Of course, the person is dumped into a Windows 2000 environment without
anything in the way of personalised settings, meaning they need to log
back out.

Strangely, the second attempt normally results in success. Of course,
their workstation accumulates a massive number of folders named
username.domainname.xxx where xxx is a number between 000 and 999 but
the problem goes away.

For the moment, I've told the machine to just use the locally cached
copy. The logs don't show anything other than the errors that seem to be
fairly common in this network for reasons not known to me (No route to
host features often).

I have very similar configs in other places that have nothing in the way
of logon problems that can't be traced to firewall rules and the error
logs in those other places are totally clean with identical logging levels.

Any thoughts?

Chris