[Samba] Custom smbprint script for testing

Paul Cochrane paul at tortc.tuht.scot.nhs.uk
Tue Jan 14 09:39:01 GMT 2003

Hello there,

I've produced a modified version of the smbprint script that comes
with the samba source.

The script is aimed to retry sending the print job if the windows
machine is switched off at the time of printing (samba seems to just
drop the print job after a period of time if the machine is off). This
script will mail you to tell you the machine isn't turned on yet and if
you go along and turn the machine on, when it boots up, the job
should print.

The script also figures out if it's printing to an XP machine which
needs a user/password to print (on my network) and supplies the
appropriate data.

See the script code in the attachment for further info.

This script has been running for the last 3 months or so on my
printserver without any problems and I thought I'd pass it on for
anyone to test and/or use.

                       -------------------------------------
Paul Cochrane         |       Tayside Orthopaedic &         |
                      | Rehabilitation Technology Centre    |
                      | Ninewells Hospital & Med. School    |
                      | Dundee, Scotland, UK.               |
                      | DD1 9SY.                            |