[Samba] How can I restart samba?

Michael Heironimus mkh01 at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 13 21:01:00 GMT 2003

On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 11:37:54AM -0500, Jamie Risk wrote:
> I invoke the smbd, and nmbd binaries from a root bash command line, each
> with the "-D" option. I can't seem to send a "kill SIGHUP" command to the
> PID I read from a "ps -ex" command because I get the message "bash: kill:
> SIGHUP: no such pid".

"kill SIGHUP <pid>" is the wrong syntax. You want "kill -HUP <pid>". Or
you can just wait a few minutes, current versions of Samba are supposed
to check the config file for changes.

All UNIX signal names are "SIG<name>", to send them to a process by
signal name you use "kill -<name> <pid>", without the "SIG".

--
Michael Heironimus