[Samba] mapping usernames between Windows and Linux

Frank Matthieß frankm at lug-owl.de
Mon Jan 13 19:41:01 GMT 2003

At 10.01.2003 on 22:47 CET  +0100, wrote Steve Blackwell:
> My username is different on my Linux box than on my Windows box so I used
> the line
>
> username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
>
> in my smb.conf file and this file includes the line
>
> steve = steveb

Unixname = smbname

You have to login as steven, which samba maps to unixuser steve.

> However when I'm logged on to my Linux box as 'steve' and use the
> smbclient command like this:
>
> # smbclient //<Windows computer>/Shared
> session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

Sure, because smblient tries with "steve" and not "steveb"
If there is no "steve" user in smbpasswd, this must fail.

> it still tries to log me on with my Linux username. I checked this using
> Ethereal. The environment variables $USER and $LOGNAME are both set to
> 'steve'.
>
> # smbclient //<Windows computer>/Shared -U steveb%<my password>

Here you told smbclient explicit tu use your correct username, so it
runs.

With regards
Frank Matthieß.
Frank Matthieß                                    frankm at lug-owl.de