[Samba] mapping usernames between Windows and Linux

Steve Blackwell steve.blackwell at eer.com
Mon Jan 13 19:13:48 GMT 2003

My username is different on my Linux box than on my Windows box so I used
the line

username map = /etc/samba/smbusers

in my smb.conf file and this file includes the line

steve = steveb

However when I'm logged on to my Linux box as 'steve' and use the
smbclient command like this:

# smbclient //<Windows computer>/Shared
session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

it still tries to log me on with my Linux username. I checked this using
Ethereal. The environment variables $USER and $LOGNAME are both set to
'steve'.

# smbclient //<Windows computer>/Shared -U steveb%<my password>

works OK. Can someone tell me how to do this mapping correctly?

I'm using samba-2.2.7-2 on a RH8.0 box.

Thanks,
Steve.