[Samba] Ext3, Lots of Files, Slow performance

Paul Cochrane paul at tortc.tuht.scot.nhs.uk
Mon Jan 13 09:37:01 GMT 2003

A recent thread has hinted on slow performances on large
directories (thousands of entries) on the ext2/3 filesystem. I
appreciate that the answer is to store these directories on a different
file system or to reorganise the way you store the files into
subdirectories.

I'd just like to ask has anyone done any tests to determine
approximately what the limit is before slowdown occurs. I'd guess it's
maybe dependent on the speed of the CPU, memory and disk
subsystem but was wondering if anyone has any hard facts.

Paul Cochrane         |       Tayside Orthopaedic &         |
                      | Rehabilitation Technology Centre    |
                      | Ninewells Hospital & Med. School    |
                      | Dundee, Scotland, UK.               |
                      | DD1 9SY.                            |