[Samba] Best samba filesystem

Gordon Pritchard gordonp at sfu.ca
Thu Jan 9 18:51:01 GMT 2003

So -

	Out of all of this "slow performance with lots of files" discussion,
what would be the recommended filesystem?  I'm about to implement a
RAID-3 Samba-server for rich-media (multimedia), and I'd like (robust)
journalling, along with speed.  I have used (and am using) XFS,
ReiserFS, ext2 and ext3, but not on any sort of server.  AFAICT, they
all seem to "work".

	But I've only verified that ext3 survives "dog pulling out power-cord
in the middle of disk-writes" :-O :-)

	The server will basically be RedHat 8.0, and I will be compiling custom
kernels (so I can add whatever file-system-support is available for
Linux...). 	Again, I'm after robustness and speed.  Ease of
implementation is low on the scale... (I don't mind pain :-) )

	TIA,
	-Gord

--
Gordon Pritchard, P.Eng.         | Institute of Electrical and
Research Labs Manager            |      Electronics Engineers