[Samba] Multiple smbd processes per client

jra at dp.samba.org jra at dp.samba.org
Thu Jan 9 00:00:01 GMT 2003

On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 05:54:23PM -0600, Danny Travis wrote:
> Is it possible to configure samba to allow more than one smbd process to
> be spawned per client? We have an NT server with multiple applications
> running. One process is creating and deleting 1000's of files on the
> samba share. While it is running, other applications on the NT server
> get poor throughput, presumably because they are contending with all of
> the read-writes of the other process, since they are using the same smbd
> daemon. The other applications are accessing different shares but still
> come through the same smbd daemon. Can I make each connection from a
> client launch a new smbd daemon, or each separate share connection from
> a client launch a different smbd daemon?

To do this you need to create a netbios alias for each
connection you want, then mount a new drive (or UNC pathname)
to each different NetBIOS name. This will cause the client
to open multiple TCP connections (and thus multiple smbd's
will be created). You can mount the same share name under
each drive/UNC name for the applications.

Jeremy.