[Samba] Autocad file corruption...

David Brodbeck DavidB at mail.interclean.com
Wed Jan 8 21:49:01 GMT 2003

Mostly, make sure the NIC and the switch agree about whether the connection
is full or half duplex.  If this is wrong you'll probably have noticed bad
file transfer performance (but only in one direction), as well, though.
Another dead giveaway is when the NIC reports a lot of late collisions, but
the switch doesn't, or vice versa.  (Unless you have managed switches you
may not have any way of knowing how many collisions the switch is seeing,
though.)

Turning off oplocks will probably help.  Oplocks are unforgiving of network
problems.  The performance hit probably won't be terrible if you have to run
with oplocks disabled.

My suspicions point towards a network problem or misconfiguration because
we've used Samba 2.2.1 through 2.2.7a with AutoCAD versions 2000i through
2002 without any corruption, except for that one user who had a bad network
connection.  We only have about five CAD users but they hit the file server
pretty heavily, because many of our drawings reference several dozen xrefs
each.  These kinds of problems can be really difficult to nail down.