[Samba] Removing Samba

Troy.A Johnson troy.johnson at health.state.mn.us
Wed Jan 8 21:43:07 GMT 2003

Ted,

Samba.org RPMs are different from Red Hat RPMs
for samba: they are not compatible/upgradeable.
You will need to uninstall one before installing the
other.

Red Hat splits them out into "common", "client",
"swat", and "" (no name for the server package,
it seems). The Samba.org version is just one all
encompassiong RPM that includes everything.
The samba version that came with RH8 is 2.2.5.

You can remove whatever version that is now installed
using the commands I have given. At that point you can
install whatever RPM version you wish, or install from
source if you so desire (it is usually pretty smooth).

This is all assuming your RPM database isn't messed up.
If it is, google for answers or go to the Red Hat website.

Good luck,

Troy

>>> Ted Gervais <ve1drg at av.eastlink.ca> 01/08/03 03:19PM >>>
Sorry for not elaborating on my system etc..
I am running RH8 and was trying to installing the latest samba release
from
samba.org

I think its best to just try and remove and go back to whatever I find on

my RH8 disks. If that is possible..